In simplest terms, demand response allows you to voluntarily commit to reducing non-critical load in times when the electric grid is facing extreme conditions. Just as important is the way everyone benefits as this idea takes hold:
- For end-users … curtailing usage means receiving financial incentives. In other words, you get paid for using less during critical times
- For utilities … having commitments in place from customers to use less energy during critical times lowers the potential for brownouts and provides an attractive alternative to constructing new power plants or investing in expensive capital improvements
Adding to these general benefits are advantages that come with utilizing a demand response program designed and implemented by the team at NRG Curtailment Solutions. These include:
- Flexible programs that are far removed from a one-size-fits-all approach and developed to fit individual situations
- Easy implementation based on an ongoing level of communication, advance notice and planning - in other words, a proactive approach for responding to marketplace conditions
- Programs that are created with no out-of-pocket expenses
- A knowledge-based approach driven by better understanding of energy usage - a concept that can also lay the foundation for broader energy-saving solutions which, in many cases, can be funded by the revenue generated by our demand response programs
Working with customers to install and benefit from a demand response program starts with gaining an inherent understanding of their energy usage. This can often lead to beneficial solutions that go beyond a basic "DR" program.
Our Advisory Services team is in place to provide customers with a comprehensive energy management consultancy approach - one that springs naturally from a demand response engagement.